CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The cost of CLIM and its future

>     too. Lisp is gonna have a hard time gaining market share as long as it's
>     expensive for small colleges, tech schools, and public universities to
>     be able to buy it.
>
> I wholly agree.  I think you should be bringing this up, again and again,
> with the sales and marketing departments of the vendors that presently
> sell Lisp on platforms that are affordable at universities (Suns and Macs
> come immediately to mind): Lucid, Franz, and definitely Apple.

Believe me, I do. For obvious reasons, I don't push Medley here at
OSU, so we've also got a site license with Franz, and I grumble at them
constantly about the cost :-). I also have bitched long and hard in
Venue about Medley's university prices, and I think these have finally
had a result in that Medley for DOS (and hopefully Mac too) is being
priced at $250 single copy and I think $2500 for a site license (don't
hold me to those prices, I'm not up on the latest pricesheet).  I
tried to talk them into giving it away and charging for support ala
GNU and Cygnus, but for some reason that's never been accepted :-). We
are also working on setting up a University Grants program, which was
how a lot of places got Xerox dmachines in the first place. This is
also something that the LIC should be addressing, but that
organisation is still in the bootstrap phase.

...arun

0,,