CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: CLIM 1.1: open-root-window

   Date: Mon, 21 Sep 92 12:46:27 +0200
   From: Oliver Christ <oli%adler@uunet.UU.NET>

   1) What is the reason that the window system type (:clx, :mcl, :sheet...)  has
   to be passed to clim:open-root-window? The respective CLIM-implementation the
   application is running in is platform-specific, so that the window system is
   determined by CLIM (I can't open a :mcl root window while running Franz'
   CLIM with X...). The argument seems to be redundant in my eyes. In CLX,
   open-root-window should take the shell's DISPLAY environment variable as a
   default for the :host argument.

It is not completely true that the window system type is
platform-specific.  While you can't open a Genera window on a
Macintosh, you can open either a Genera or a CLX window on a Symbolics
machine.

Anyway, in CLIM 2 the mechanism for establishing these connections
uses a more reasonable defaulting mechanism.

0,,

Main Index | Thread Index