CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

open-window-stream

   Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 11:36:03 EDT
   From: Clinton Hyde <chyde@chesapeake.ads.com>

   Allegro CL 4.1
   CLIM 1.1
   Sparc 2

   i'm using open-window-stream, and discovering that the initargs :left
   and :top appear to have little/no effect on window placement. aren't
   they supposed to position the upper-left corner of the window at those
   coordinates? (relative to the root, of course)

Well, sometimes X window managers get in the way.

   if not, what actually does? I need to place some windows very exactly
   (part of the problem seems to be that subsequent windows 'tile'
   diagonally, which I absolutely DO NOT want--this will be disconcerting
   to our customers).

You can try the with-menu facility below.  If that doesn't work, I
think that you should contact Franz directly.  Does menu-choose pop up
menus near the mouse in your environment?

   this work is for creating progress-indicator windows, which I'll
   donate as soon as I'm happy with them. they're vaguely similar to the
   mac-style progress windows, with a percentage-bar and some descriptive
   text. the fn-calls are similar to the genera fns noting-progress and
   related things.

Try this:

(with-menu (menu win nil)
    (clim::bounding-rectangle-set-edges menu 100 100 300 120)
    (window-clear menu)
    (window-expose menu)
    (finish-output menu)
    (draw-rectangle* menu 0 5 200 15 :filled nil)
    (force-output menu)
    (sleep 1)
    (dotimes (n 20)
      (draw-rectangle* menu 0 5 (* (1+ n) 10) 15)
      (force-output menu)
      (sleep .02)
      ))

0,,