CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bug in filling-output?

>    Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1992 06:44 EST
>    From: berni@iml.fhg.de
>
>    [...]
>
>Most of CLIM's design is driven by analyzing user's needs.  To the best
>of my knowledge, practically nothing in CLIM is "typical hacker-driven
>software design".  Note that there was no intention to include
>FILLING-OUTPUT in CLIM at all, except that a number of users requested
>that we do so during the CLIM 1.0 Beta test.

As I'm impressed of the overall architecture of CLIM, which is very well
designed, I was surprised of the bad integration of indenting-output and
filling-output. If these features were put in user-requested add-on's,
thats
an explanation. It was not my intention to critize anything more than this
limited integration and documentation. It just took me the rest of the
night
to get nothing working -- I should not mail having too little sleep...
Please excuse my bad and accusing writing style!

>If you are accusing the implementors of CLIM of having to restrict the
>functionality of some parts of CLIM because it has proved too difficult
>to implement that functionality correctly, or with adequate performance,
>or even at all, well, you're right.  We're just hackers, not miracle
>workers.
>
>In any event, the following does exactly what I expect in CLIM 2.0.
>
>(defun foo (&optional (stream *standard-output*))
>  (fresh-line stream)
>  (indenting-output (stream '(2 :character))
>    (filling-output (stream :fill-width '(40 :character))
>      (dotimes (i 12)
>	(write-string "outer1 " stream))
>      (terpri stream)
>      (indenting-output (stream '(2 :character))
>	(filling-output (stream :fill-width '(20 :character))
>	  (dotimes (i 15)
>	    (write-string "inner " stream))))
>      (terpri stream)
>      (dotimes (i 12)
>	(write-string "outer2 " stream)))))

It does't work with CLIM 1.1. Longing for CLIM 2.0 ...

>Here is the output it produces, copied from a CLIM Lisp Listener window:
>
>  outer1 outer1 outer1 outer1 outer1
>  outer1 outer1 outer1 outer1 outer1
>  outer1 outer1
>    inner inner inner
>    inner inner inner
>    inner inner inner
>    inner inner inner
>    inner inner inner
>  outer2 outer2 outer2 outer2 outer2
>  outer2 outer2 outer2 outer2 outer2
>  outer2 outer2
>
>By the way, if you expect to use FILLING-OUTPUT the same way you would
>use a text formatter, you should realize that it is not intended to be
>a general-purpose text formatter.  If you would like to write a more
>sophisticated version of FILLING-OUTPUT and submit it to the would-be
>CLIM library, I will be glad to provide assistance.

I'll think about that.

- Stefan Bernemann   (berni@iml.fhg.de)

0,,