CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

printing a clim stream

    Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1992 10:33 EST
    From: Vincent Keunen <nrb!keunen@relay.eu.net>

    I'd like to print the content of what has been accumulated in a stream
    (part of a pane of a frame).

    When the content is only text, it's easy, I just do:

    (define-nanesse-history-command
      (com-print-history :name t :menu t)
	()
      (with-open-file (output-file "nanesse:to-print;history.text"
			    :direction :output
			    :if-exists :new-version)
	(clim:copy-textual-output-history
	  (frame-standard-output clim:*application-frame*) output-file))
      (cp:execute-command "hardcopy file" "nanesse:to-print;history.text"))

    But when it's general clim drawing functions, I guess I must use
    with-output-to-postscript-stream and somehow replay the history of my
    pane (from the parent output-record, right?) in the new postscript
    stream.

    Does someone have a nice and easy example of this to help me out?

There is no such "nice and easy example", because it is not nice and
easy.  Moving output records from one display device to another is not
easy because text and graphics can have different sizes on different
output devices.  Thus, using FORMATTING-TABLE on some window to format a
table full of text can produce output records that no good for some
postscript printer, because the alignment is all wrong.

The only way to reliably get good output for multiple display devices is
to generate it freshly for each display device.

0,,