CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gestures for commands more than 1 arg?

    Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 16:58 EDT
    From: Scott McKay <SWM@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 14:12 EDT
	From: "Bruce R. Miller" <miller@cam.nist.gov>

	[CLIM 2.0, Genera 8.3]

	I have presentation type, say THING, which has present methods, but I
	haven't defined any accept methods (and I otherwise wouldn't need them)

    When you have a CLIM application with an interactor window (that is, you
    are using a command-line interface), then CLIM needs to be able to parse
    command arguments.  So they need ACCEPT methods.

Sigh, that's what I was afraid of.  I was thrown off by the fact that a
single arg command apparently doesn't invoke the command-parser at all.

This is one of those cases where it's trivial to know if you've got a
THING, but harder to find the thing associated with an arbitrary name.
All the _real_ THINGS live elsewhere on the net; I fetch them
incrementally as needed.  If I once open the door to allow someone to
type in the name of a THING, I'm kind of obliged to recognize _any_ THING...

Still, I'll figure it out.

	What I was hoping for (and expecting based on DW .. and I thought CLIM
	1.1, too) was that CLIM would `pretend' to parse the first argument ---
	it _has_ the object already; why would it want to present it and then
	accept it back from the textual representation?   -- and would then
	proceed to parsing the 2nd argument (which it can parse because there's
	a accept method defined for it).

    I wonder if I can cajole the partial command parser to stash "accept
    results" instead of text.  In the meanwhile, you'll have to either
    write some ACCEPT methods, or don't use command-lines.

If it isn't too hard and doesn't kludge the model up,  I personally
would find it useful.  Of course CLIM isn't obliged to mimic DW.

Thanks for the clarification.

  bruce
  miller@cam.nist.gov

Follow-Ups: References: