CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gestures for commands more than 1 arg?

    Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 13:37 EDT
    From: Bruce R. Miller <miller@cam.nist.gov>

	Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 16:58 EDT
	From: Scott McKay <SWM@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	    Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 14:12 EDT
	    From: "Bruce R. Miller" <miller@cam.nist.gov>

	    [CLIM 2.0, Genera 8.3]

	    I have presentation type, say THING, which has present methods, but I
	    haven't defined any accept methods (and I otherwise wouldn't need them)

	When you have a CLIM application with an interactor window (that is, you
	are using a command-line interface), then CLIM needs to be able to parse
	command arguments.  So they need ACCEPT methods.

    Sigh, that's what I was afraid of.  I was thrown off by the fact that a
    single arg command apparently doesn't invoke the command-parser at all.

    This is one of those cases where it's trivial to know if you've got a
    THING, but harder to find the thing associated with an arbitrary name.
    All the _real_ THINGS live elsewhere on the net; I fetch them
    incrementally as needed.  If I once open the door to allow someone to
    type in the name of a THING, I'm kind of obliged to recognize _any_ THING...

I'm not surprised that this is going to be a pain.  Sorry about that.

    Still, I'll figure it out.

	    What I was hoping for (and expecting based on DW .. and I thought CLIM
	    1.1, too) was that CLIM would `pretend' to parse the first argument ---
	    it _has_ the object already; why would it want to present it and then
	    accept it back from the textual representation?   -- and would then
	    proceed to parsing the 2nd argument (which it can parse because there's
	    a accept method defined for it).

	I wonder if I can cajole the partial command parser to stash "accept
	results" instead of text.  In the meanwhile, you'll have to either
	write some ACCEPT methods, or don't use command-lines.

    If it isn't too hard and doesn't kludge the model up,  I personally
    would find it useful.  Of course CLIM isn't obliged to mimic DW.

I looked at it for a few minutes yesterday, and didn't see an obvious
way to do this, but I haven't given up yet.

Follow-Ups: References:

Main Index | Thread Index