CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Moving objects and incremental redisplay

    Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 16:57 EDT
    From: Bill Long <wjl@medg.lcs.mit.edu>

	Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 15:45 EDT
	From: Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

	    Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 14:40 EDT
	    From: Curt Eggemeyer <curt@eraserhead.jpl.nasa.gov>

	    Maybe in CLIM version 3 ... the incremental display facility would have
	    an option of working with either a top-down (as it is now) or a bottoms-up
	    way. Many of my particular display domains would really exploit the
	    bottom-up capability if it were there.

	Can you design a language that specifies how the program tells CLIM
	about this?  I'm serious.

	The big problem is, quite simply, that incremental redisplay is a
	*really hard* problem.  It's easy to think of a bunch of special cases:
	the Emacs redisplay special case, the line-at-a-time special case, the
	simple graphical editor special case, the spreadsheet special case.  And
	it's easy to write code to implement any of these well.  It's relatively
	easy to specify the general case -- that's what UPDATING-OUTPUT does.
	But it's hard to implement that well, and it's hard to figure out from a
	general specification which of the special cases you might fall into.

    Why not just make the special cases available?  Couldn't this be a
    declaration at some level?  At the very least, there could be a library
    of fill-in-the-blanks template implementations for the special cases.
    I'd guess that the special cases would cover the usual 80%.

As usual, it's just a matter of someone doing the work.
Any volunteers?