CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Drawing to undisplayed windows

   Date:	Fri, 1 Oct 1993 09:43:00 -0700
   From:	Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

       Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 11:57 EDT
       From: Land Fleming <fleming@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>

       I'm converting a CLIM 1.1 application (Symbolics Genera 8.2) to CLIM 2.0
       (Genera 8.3). The application does a lot of drawing operations to application
       panes in layouts when they are not being displayed. With CLIM 2.0 there is no
       medium or port associated with undisplayed application panes, and no drawing
       operations can be done.

   Panes in CLIM 2.0 are fundamentally different from panes in CLIM 1.1.  A
   panes is not created until the layout(s) it is part of has been created.
   It is not clear to me that what you want can be made to work, even though
   what you want is not at all unreasonable.

Assuming that what you are trying to do is "preload" a pane's output
history with some graphics that will be displayed when the pane is
finally exposed, you could try doing the output with actual
ink-on-the-screen drawing enabled, as follows:

(with-output-recording-options (pane :draw-p nil) ...)

This may or may not avoid making calls that really care if the sheet
has a medium, but it will still capture the output records.  I can't
easily test it now, so I don't know if it will work or not.