CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Drawing to undisplayed windows

    Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 11:57 EDT
    From: Land Fleming <fleming@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>

    I'm converting a CLIM 1.1 application (Symbolics Genera 8.2) to CLIM 2.0
    (Genera 8.3). The application does a lot of drawing operations to application
    panes in layouts when they are not being displayed. With CLIM 2.0 there is no
    medium or port associated with undisplayed application panes, and no drawing
    operations can be done. I've tried the with-sheet-medium macro, but this
    does not work because the application pane also has no port, and when
    I set the port slot to (find-port), an error concerning the mirror hierarchy
    results. Is there anyway to do these background drawing operations?

Panes in CLIM 2.0 are fundamentally different from panes in CLIM 1.1.  A
panes is not created until the layout(s) it is part of has been created.
It is not clear to me that what you want can be made to work, even though
what you want is not at all unreasonable.

I am presently investigating this with some other people.

[5 minutes later]

You might try calling CLIM-INTERNALS::FIND-OR-MAKE-PANE-NAMED on the
frame and the pane name.  This is what CLIM uses to initially create a
pane when making a new layout.  I don't know for a fact that this will
work completely, but it's worth a try.  Please tell me the results of
this experiment, whether it wins or loses.