CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Temporary Popup Application Panes in CLIM 2

    Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 11:43 EDT
    From: Land Fleming <fleming@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>

You are usng Genera, right?  Please always be explicit about what
version of CLIM you are using, and on what platform.

    In CLIM 1.1, it was possible to add popup windows that were, in
    effect, temporary application panes that could be displayed for as long
    needed, by doing the following:
    (setq window (open-window-stream :PARENT <some.application.pane>...)
    (setf (stream-input-buffer window)
	  (stream-input-buffer <some.application.pane>)
    A window created in this way could be made to respond to commands
    defined for the underlying application, and its presentations
    could be used as input to permanent application panes and vice
    versa.

    In CLIM 2, Open-Window-Stream no longer accepts the :PARENT

Did supplying the :PARENT argument actually provide any useful behavior?
That is, isn't it enough to supply :PORT or :FRAME-MANAGER in CLIM 2.0?

    argument, and I haven't been able to duplicate the "temporary
    application pane" behavior using the With-Menu macro. I have
    tried:
       (setq window
	    (with-menu (temp.window some.application.pane ...)
	      temp.window))

This doesn't seem like a good idea, since WITH-MENU returns the window
back to the menu resource as it exits.

    You can at least display these windows outside the scope of the
    With-Menu forms using (setf (window-visibility window) T)
    without the application panes graying out when they are exposed
    (that's what happens using Open-Window-Stream), but the With-Menu
    windows get buried as soon as you click on a real application
    pane. Can the "temporary application pane" effect be achieved in
    CLIM 2, or is this just one of the prices we must pay for the
    greater portability of CLIM 2?

You probably still want to use OPEN-WINDOW-STREAM and provide the
:SAVE-UNDER T option.  Also, you want to SETF SHEET-EVENT-QUEUE of the
new window to share with the event queue of your main application.