CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Right-click on gadgets

    Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 14:15 EST
    From:	"William M. York" <york@parc.xerox.com>

       Date:	Wed, 17 Nov 1993 07:54:10 -0800
       From:	Rick Duffy <duffy@pogo.den.mmc.com>

       >> What is the simplest CLIM mechanism I can use to allow a
       >> right-click on a gadget in an accept-values pane to trigger
       >> some other command (such as help)?
       >>

       >CLIM 2.0 does not provide a mechanism to modify the behavior of gadgets
       >implemented by toolkits such as Motif.

       I wanted to try to display some stuff to the user via gadgets.  Besides
       being able to change the values, I want to allow the user to gesture to the
       value in some way to express approval or concern.  Right-clicking on the
       gadget itself seemed a direct way to do this.  Though portability and
       conformance to style is a concern, I am experimenting with different, maybe
       new, HCI ideas, so the ability to play with these ideas is really the top
       priority.

    As was mentioned above, the exact behavior of an "adapted" gadget from
    a toolkit like Motif isn't under CLIM's control.  However, if you are
    experimenting, you could trade off Motif look-and-feel compliance for
    freedom to specify your own interface by using "CLIM look and feel"
    gagets in your dialogs.

If somebody wanted to make CLIM's homegrown gadgets look more like
Motif gadgets, I would certainly be willing to help.  Especially if
that somebody had some skill in doing it in color.  The current
gadgets gadgets are not bad, but I'm no graphic designer, and they
could certainly be a lot better.