CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: CLIM with multiple frames

   Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 10:45:06 -0500 (EST)
   From: Daniel D Suthers <suthers+@pitt.edu>

   > -- passive highlighting means you have to have a process
   >    busy-waiting, so you can't use MCL's nice event-driven processing that
   >    lets you have several active windows up which the user can utilize as
   >    he/she desires.
   >
   > I'm curious what you suggest as an alternative.  MCL's "nice
   > event-driven processing" still requires a process to be polling
   > (events don't get processed while Lisp is executing unless special
   > care is taken).

   What I learned from the previous disccussion is that there is no
   alternative, unless changing the behavior of CLIM on this platform were
   considered an alternative. (E.g., chuck passive highlighting and have
   the usual mac 1-click to select, double-click to act, where these would
   apply the innermost presentation. Then you could use event-driven
   processing to have multiple windows active without multiple processes.
   Of course behavior that differs to this degree is problematic in terms
   of portability and what it means to have a Clim "standard".)

It would be more than just changing the behavior of CLIM on a
particular platform -- it would mean a fundamental altering of the
CLIM input model, in which dynamic state influences the set of
acceptable inputs.  In other words, if you have two different windows
both accepting commands, and in one window you've typed ":Show File "
and in the other you've typed ":Halt Process ", the set of acceptable
inputs at this point is quite different in each window.  Using dynamic
state of each process to store this information is quite natural, and
a key part of CLIM.

Dennis Doughty						Interleaf, Inc.
doughty@ileaf.com