CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Motif menu-bar behavior.

  Date:     Thu, 16 Dec 93 7:34:58 EST
  From: Nichael Cramer <ncramer@BBN.COM>

  Let me ask a related, but slightly different question: What do we have
  control over in the display/appearance of the (Motif) menubars?

  I'm aware of the following:

     1] The associated command-table.

     2] The Text Style.

     3] The Foreground/Background colors.
     (2 & 3 can be defaulted by inheritance from a specified
     Associated Window.)

Currently ACL CLIM 2.0 supports the pane-type :menu-bar so you can do things
like:

(define-application-frame test ()
  ()
  (:panes
   (display :application)
   (menu-bar :menu-bar
	     :command-table 'test ;the default
	     :background "khaki"
	     :foreground +blue+
	     :text-style '(:sans-serif :bold :normal)))
  (:layouts
    (default
	(vertically ()
	 menu-bar
	 display)))
  (:menu-bar nil))

Note that you have to specify :menu-bar nil to switch off the default
menu-bar for which you have no control over its appearance.

I don't understand your comments about associated-windows? Are you thinking
of menu-choose (which does default the colors and text-style from the
associated-window) rather than menu bars?

  Is this it?  Are there other controllable features that I've not mentioned
  here?

The only thing to add is that particular menu-items can have there own
text-styles (which are merged with the text-style of the menu-bar) - see
add-menu-item-to-command-table.

Also in CLIM 2.0 final these can be controlled with the X resources

clim*<frame>*menuBar.textStyle
clim*<frame>*menuBar.background
clim*<frame>*menuBar.foreground

-----
Colin Meldrum, Franz Inc.	1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
colin@Franz.COM (internet)	Berkeley, CA 94704
uunet!franz!colin (uucp)	Phone: (510) 548-3600; FAX: (510) 548-8253

Main Index | Thread Index