CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: reducing time overhead of text display (in 1.1) Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 19:01-0500 From: "Bruce R. Miller" <miller@cam.nist.gov> Cc: clim@bbn.com

       Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 18:42 EST

	   Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 16:38 EST
	   From: Bruce R. Miller <miller@cam.nist.gov>

	   It seems to me that I have a prime candidate for this kind of treatment.
	   My application has a sort of `outline' pane; Sort of like the lispm's File System Ed.
	   There are a list of items with indented sub-items with ...
	   Each can be opened & closed.  Each is a presentation of some sort and
	   takes up _exactly_ 1 line of display. [some do have presentations as
	   parts, though]

	   [more description of the application deleted]

       This is such a natural candidate, that I already have an implementation
       of it.  It is not completely debugged -- it's got one very mysterious
       fencepost error in it.  Would you like me to send it to you?  If I do,
       you have to promise to send me back any bugfixes and generally useful
       improvements you might make to it...

   Sure, I'll have a shot at that.  As it is, I'm unclear about where to
   start on the whole thing.

   [Stuff about documentation deleted]

     bruce
     miller@cam.nist.gov

I have a similar goal for an application we are building.  The idea is
that commands produce results which may have multiple parts, which may
be nested.  The results are displayed on a "notebook" pane and the
various parts can be expanded to display the entire thing, or
collapsed down to just a name.  The difference is that the things
being displayed aren't necessarily one-line entries, in fact they may
multi-line objects, tables or even graphical objects.  There won't be
as many sub-items as the original description above discussed, but
when an object earlier in the notebook is expanded, everything after
it needs to move down to accommodate it and move back up when it is
collapsed.  I would also like to add the ability to "tag" particular
items for later processing (for example, mark a bunch of objects and
delete them all.)

If anyone has suggestions or ideas that would help, it would be
greatly appreciated.

Adam Carlson
carlson@cs.umass.edu