so your questions can be answered if I am unavailable.

  Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 17:19:26 +0100
  From: Hans Breckle <breckle@fzi.de>

  CLIM2.0beta2
  Allegro4.2

  I have a problem with ports: I keep getting the error message

  The port is not alive

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
   0: retry assertion.
   1: Return to Traffic command level
   2: Traffic top level
   3: Exit Traffic
  [Current process: traffic]

This error message occurs either when a port has a null process or
when the port itself is null. Unfortunately without a backtrace I
cannot tell which case is occurring here.

  What I am doing is switching between applications on
  different screens, and I would like to know what
  causes a port to 'die'? I know that I can do
  (restart-port port), but where should I put the
  statement in the code?

You shouldn't need to do this.

  I do not have a failing test case, since a simple
  example I wrote worked perfectly. So probably the
  best approach is now to figure out what can cause
  a port to die.

If you could send an example that would help a lot. Otherwise please
send a complete backtrace with :zoom :all t

-----
Colin Meldrum, Franz Inc.	1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
colin@Franz.COM (internet)	Berkeley, CA 94704
uunet!franz!colin (uucp)	Phone: (510) 548-3600; FAX: (510) 548-8253

Main Index | Thread Index