CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Postscript dumps of frame output history.

    Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 12:36 PDT
    From: Scott McKay <swm@harlequin.com>

       Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 19:24-0700
       From: Gregory M Anderson <gma@bitterroot.apl.washington.edu>
       Character-Type-Mappings: (1 0 (NIL 0) (:FIX :ROMAN :TINY) "TINY")
				(2 0 (NIL 0) (NIL :BOLD NIL) "CPTFONTCB")
				(3 0 (NIL 0) (NIL :ITALIC NIL) "CPTFONTI")
       Fonts: CPTFONT, TINY, CPTFONTCB, CPTFONTI

       I'm trying to dump an application frame output to a postscript stream (the
       frame display functions are presentations with incremental redisplay).  I thought
       that all I would have to do is call the display functions again with
       output to the postscript stream.  But CLIM seems to be trying to
       redisplay the output history on the new stream (Is it acceptable
       to change the stream on an output history?  Doesn't seem
       like it would be although it partially worked once.)

       And I get this error.  What am I doing wrong.

    It looks to me like you created the output records on one stream, and
    then used REPLAY to try to replay them onto a different stream, namely
    the PostScript stream.  Unfortunately, you can't do this.

    The reason you can't is that output records have their size measured
    for the stream they are created on.  For example, text style metrics
    are going to be completely different on a PS stream than they are on
    some X terminal.

That's what it looks like to me too, but the question is, why.
What I did is call the frame display function (which has the presents
with incremental redisplay) with output to the postscript stream, and
that frame display code decided to replay the output history.  I didn't ask
specifically to replay the history.  I suppose it's the redisplay code,
not the presents, that cause the replay attempt.

One option is to duplicate the frame display function without
the incremental redisplay code.  It seems strange to have to do that.
Is there a way to force a comprehensive redraw without duplicating the code?

Seems like the redisplay code should record the stream the
history was created on, and changing to a different stream should cause
a comprehensive redraw.  Might this be a CLIM improvement?

Thanks,
Greg

Follow-Ups: References:

Main Index | Thread Index