CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

What does HANDLE-EVENT do?

   Date:     Sun, 29 May 94 17:38:35 EDT
   From: Nichael Cramer <ncramer@BBN.COM>

   >From: Jeff Morrill <jmorrill@BBN.COM>
   >  From: Nichael Cramer <ncramer@BBN.COM>
   >  Subject:  What does HANDLE-EVENT do?
   >
   >  I can't seem to get the method HANDLE-EVENT to be called....
   >
   >    (clim:with-output-as-gadget (STREAM)
   >       (clim:make-pane 'my-gadget
   >                       :client *MY-CLIENT*
   >                         ....)
   >
   >  In point of fact, the only time the method seems to be called _anywhere_ on
   >  _anything_ is for a few POINTER-ENTER/EXIT-EVENTs on some viewports. [...]
   >
   >There is a file, custom-gadget.lisp, that I put some time ago on
   >cambridge.apple.com.  It contains a working push-button and a working
   >slider.  The test code displays them on an accept-values pane and they
   >seem to work.  The button is displayed using with-output-as-gadget.
   >The slider is displayed by defining a "view" and invoking ACCEPT.
   >
   >Perhaps by comparing your code with that code, you may see the problem.

   In case anyone else is interested, basically the problem was this:

   I had (naively) assumed that I could use something resembling a standard
   clim-pane to handle the events.  I.e. rather than building my gadget on top
   of, say, CLIM:APPLICATION-PANE, I find I have to build it on top of (using
   Jeff's example) SILICA::LEAF-PANE and SILICA:SPACE-REQUIREMENT-MIXIN (with
   a sprinkling of appropriate clim::GADGET-*-MIXINs).

   What I presume was happening is that _something_ in the intervening layers
   was snatching the pointer-click events before I could get to them.

Oh, right, of course.  CLIM streams have a protocol (implemented
mostly by the RECEIVE-GESTURE g.f.) that serves to map the sequence of
raw events into CLIM's presentation-based gesture "language".  This is
surely what was nailing you.

Sorry I didn't pick up on this immediately.

Main Index | Thread Index