CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD question

   From: Robert Pfeiffer <rdp@netcom.com>
   Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 09:12:04 -0700 (PDT)

       Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 10:56 PDT
       From: Scott McKay <swm@harlequin.com>

	  From: Robert Pfeiffer <rdp@netcom.com>
	  Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 07:41:01 -0700 (PDT)

	  I have what I'm hoping will turn out to be a simple problem in CLIM 2.0.

	  I have a pane in which I'm trying to do my own incremental redisplay
	  (rather than using CLIM's facility). My approach is very straightforward
	  with the only problem being that it doesn't work correctly. :-)

	  When I first display the contents of the pane in question, I hold onto
	  all of the presentations (which are returned by PRESENT) that I would
	  like to incrementally update. All of these presentations have the same
	  presentation type which I have defined to have one option (color). All
	  I want to do is to SETF the PRESENTATION-TYPE of each presentation to a
	  new presentation type (which has a different value for the color option)
	  and then call REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD on each. Unfortunately, this has no
	  effect on the display.

	  Is it obvious to anyone where I'm going wrong?

       I am now just digging out from mail accumulated over a 3 week absence.

       REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD doesn't generate new output, it replays old
       output.

   I see... well, actually I don't. My confusion is that I have modified the
   presentation type of the "old output". So my thinking is that when I call
   REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD to replay the "old output", it should now be different
   than it was the last time.

   Perhaps my error is that the presentation isn't the "old output" at all?
   If not, then what exactly is the "old output"?

A presentation object has three important attributes: the application
object, the presentation type, and some output records.  The leaf
output records constitute the visual display of the presentation.

So the "old output" is represented by the output records contained in
the presentaiton, _not_ by the object or the p-type.

   What is the purpose of being able to SETF the PRESENTATION-TYPE of a
   presentation?

One example might be that you are using presentation type options to
store information about a presentation.  You can then SETF the
PRESENTATION-TYPE of a presentation to change this information.

       You have to erase the old output, generate the new output,
       and then display it.

   Yes, I tried this approach as well but with no success. I outlined my fumblings
   in a separate message which I will re-post.

   I will be so happy when (if) I get to the point where I fully understand all of
   this! :-)

I wish there was a higher bandwidth way to do this.