CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD question

    Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 10:56 PDT
    From: Scott McKay <swm@harlequin.com>

       From: Robert Pfeiffer <rdp@netcom.com>
       Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 07:41:01 -0700 (PDT)

       I have what I'm hoping will turn out to be a simple problem in CLIM 2.0.

       I have a pane in which I'm trying to do my own incremental redisplay
       (rather than using CLIM's facility). My approach is very straightforward
       with the only problem being that it doesn't work correctly. :-)

       When I first display the contents of the pane in question, I hold onto
       all of the presentations (which are returned by PRESENT) that I would
       like to incrementally update. All of these presentations have the same
       presentation type which I have defined to have one option (color). All
       I want to do is to SETF the PRESENTATION-TYPE of each presentation to a
       new presentation type (which has a different value for the color option)
       and then call REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD on each. Unfortunately, this has no
       effect on the display.

       Is it obvious to anyone where I'm going wrong?

    I am now just digging out from mail accumulated over a 3 week absence.

    REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD doesn't generate new output, it replays old
    output.

I see... well, actually I don't. My confusion is that I have modified the
presentation type of the "old output". So my thinking is that when I call
REPLAY-OUTPUT-RECORD to replay the "old output", it should now be different
than it was the last time.

Perhaps my error is that the presentation isn't the "old output" at all?
If not, then what exactly is the "old output"?

What is the purpose of being able to SETF the PRESENTATION-TYPE of a
presentation?

    You have to erase the old output, generate the new output,
    and then display it.

Yes, I tried this approach as well but with no success. I outlined my fumblings
in a separate message which I will re-post.

I will be so happy when (if) I get to the point where I fully understand all of
this! :-)