CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Problem using Handle-event

>Subject: Problem using Handle-event
>Date: Thu, 07 Jul 94 11:39:42 -0400
>From: martin@cs.rochester.edu
>
>CLIM 2.0
>SUN ACL 4.2
>
>We are trying to capture the keyboard input so we can build a string
>while CLIM is displaying information it reads from the stream.  From
>reading the manual it looks like we want to specialize handle-event so
>that it builds the string in addition to whatever else it is doing.
>The problem is that handle-event does not sem to process anything
>except pointer-exit and pointer-enter events.  We built a small test
>application which specialized handle-event to print the type of the
>event on the window.  The code follows.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions about how to gather up the keyboard
>input while processing clim commands from another source?  Also, does
>anyone know what handle-event is supposed to do?
>
>	Thanks
>		Nat

Martin

In short you _can't_ get at the events.  The problem is that the
APPLICATION-PANE that you are using is built on top of the various Clim
STREAM-ish mixins.  These mixins apparently snatch all the events at a very
low level.  (The documentation is very vague on this point.)

If you want to do any of the event-handling you need to build up your own
gadgets, basically starting with something like SILICA::LEAF-PANE (which is
crudely analogous to something like tv:WINDOW on the SMBX machines --i.e. a
raw window that you can draw on and not much else.)

Nichael

>Nathaniel G. Martin           Department of Computer Science
>martin@cs.rochester.edu       University of Rochester
>(716) 275-4198                Rochester, NY  14627-0226

Main Index | Thread Index