CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: When is a frame *really* up?

>From: Scott McKay <swm@harlequin.com>
>Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 17:14:07 EDT
>Subject: When is a frame *really* up?
>   Date:     Tue, 17 May 94 14:16:38 EDT
>   From: Nichael Cramer <ncramer@BBN.COM>
>   Is there a general, portable way to tell if an application frame has
>   really, honest-to-gosh, become visible on the screen?  This is important in
>   a number of place; two obvious examples:
>
>It is supposed to be the case that calling WINDOW-VISIBILITY on one of
>the streams, or MIRROR-VISIBLE-P on any of the sheets should provide
>this information.  When they return NIL, the thing is deexposed (for
>you Genera folks), or unmapped or iconified (for you X folks).

Yes, this is exactly the sorts of things I've been trying and, yes, this
doesn't really work (or, rather, in really tight cases it can fail.)
Specifically CLIM seems to think the window has been exposed (presumably it
has called the "expose-sheet" code) but the window really hasn't come up on
the (remote) X-server.

>This works in Genera, and (as of today) in LispWorks, but who knows
>about anywhere else.

Remote serving across busy nets are --as one might expect-- the worse case.

Main Index | Thread Index