Re: Clarification Please

Reggie Perry <reggie@muon.phys.washington.edu> writes:

> 	I found this while lurking on the net in comp.compilers in the FAQ:
> package:	CLISP
> parts:	bytecode compiler, translator(->C), runtime, library, editor
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No, CLISP compiles to bytecode only, not to C.

> Is there really a translator to C for clisp?

No.

AKCL is a Common Lisp system that compiles to C, then uses the machine's
C compiler to compile to machine code, and AKCL can load such machine code
mudules into the running image.

CLiCC on the other hand can build stand-alone executables from Common Lisp
programs, again using the machine's C compiler.

The CLiCC README file:

    CLiCC is a Common Lisp to C Compiler.  It generates C-executables
    from Common Lisp application programs. CLiCC is not a Common Lisp
    system.  Hence it does  not  include any  program  development or
    debugging support.  CLiCC is intended to  be used as an  addon to
    existing Common Lisp systems for generating portable applications.

    CLiCC supports a subset of Common Lisp + CLOS, which we call CL_0
    (CommonLisp_0).  CL_0  is a strict and very large  subset of full
    Common Lisp + CLOS, without  (EVAL ...) and friends.  At present,
    CL_0 is based on CLtL1,  but  we  are  working towards  CLtL2 and
    ANSI-CL.

    The target language is a subset of C. CLiCC is adaptable to gene-
    rate ANSI-C or K&R-C by using a compiler option.  The generated C
    code is compilable using  a conventional C compiler on the target
    machine,  and must be  linked with the  CLiCC runtime library  in
    order to generate executables.

              CLiCC is available via anonymous ftp from

              ftp.informatik.uni-kiel.de  (134.245.15.113)
              file: kiel/apply/clicc-0.6.1.tar.Z

               Wolfgang Goerigk, wg@informatik.uni-kiel.de
               Ulrich Hoffman, uho@informatik.uni-kiel.de
               Heinz Knutzen, hk@informatik.uni-kiel.de

                 Christian-Albrechts-Universitaet zu Kiel,
            Institut fuer Informatik und Praktische Mathematik
                            Preusserstr. 1-9
                         D-24105 Kiel, Germany

CLiCC runs in CLISP without any modification, but you need at least 8 MB RAM.

                    Bruno Haible
                    haible@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de