ECL - more details please!

   Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 15:49:14 -0800
   Posted-Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 15:49:14 -0800
   From: donc@ISI.EDU (Don Cohen)
   Sender: donc@ISI.EDU

   I'd appreciate more details, such as:
   - How large is the image?

The kernel without compiler is 700KB, with compiler and some
preallocated memory 2MB.

   - How conformant is it to CLtL1, CLtL2, proposed Ansi CL?

It is fully CLtL1 conformant. It has a CLtL2-conformant CLOS.

   - What are the limitations on heap size, stack size, etc.?

Those of your machine: heap is obtained with sbrk, the stack is the C
stack.

   - Does it do its own paging or must everything fit in main memory?
     (This question only applies to OS's like DOS that don't do this
     for you.)

It relies on the OS for paging: on DOS it uses go32.

   - Is it able to call DOS/UNIX programs (like CLISP)?

Definitely: either through a direct function call or through the Lisp
function (SYSTEM string).

   - Does it contain any support for screen windows, as described in
     earlier messages?
No.

   - Does it contain any support for window systems such as MSWindows,
     X, etc.?

I have a specially optimized version of CLX.

   - Does it compile into native machine instructions or use a byte
     code interpreter?

It compiles to C and then uses the C compiler on your machine to generate
native code.