NOEMS and DOS

I am relatively new to PC computing and have a Pentium running
Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and DOS 6.2.

I am able to run CLISP by using SYSEDIT to remove the symbol
NOEMS from my CONFIG.SYS but I have some newbie questions.

Do I have to edit this and reboot every time I switch between
CLISP and the rest of my world? I can see that removing NOEMS
causes some DOS programs (Chessmaster 3000, actually) to work
differently, run slower, and crash. Will it similarly affect
Windows programs?

In short, what is the most convenient setup?

Thanks,
Jim Goodwin