Re: can't install clisp in NeXTStep 3.0

Hello,

Recently I have started subscribing this mailing-list and found:

> I can't seem to install clisp on NeXTStep 3.0 because of problems

> with libnoreadline.a and libreadline.a. Any idea what the workaround

> is? im using the clisp version from

> binaries/next/clisp-english.tar.gz

> 	% cc lisp.a libnoreadline.a -ltermcap -s -o lisp.run
> 	/bin/ld: libnoreadline.a bad magic number (not a Mach-O file)
>

> -Rick Taube
> hkt@zkm.de
> Zentrum fuer Kunst und Medientechnologie
> Ritterstr. 42 76137 Karlsruhe Germany

I encountered the same problem under Japanese version of NeXTSTEP 3.0
-- NeXTSTEP 3.0J. Probably this problem has been already resolved by
someone, but I've just bypassed it.

The following steps seem to be needed before using cc:

  jenny libnoreadline.a
  ranlib libnoreadline.a
  ranlib lisp.a

However, yet another problem I have with thus generated clisp. When I
try to let it evaluate `(fact 1000)' employing the following
definition:

  (defun fact (n) (if (zerop n) 1 (* n (fact (1- n)))))

`memory fault' error happens on my NeXTstation Turbo. So long as
parameter of `fact' is a small positive integer, say 100, the
function is evaluated successfully.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.
--
Norihiko Ono
Dept. of Information Science and Intelligent Systems