Re: building clisp Jan 1 1995

> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 15:37:54 +0100
> From: haible@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
>
> Richard Shepherd <rls@therat.math.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > ... got it successfully built.  However I no longer have the readline
> > abilities and as it builds I notice the -DNO_READLINE on the compile
> > lines.
>
> The "configure" script has observed that you haven't fetched and unpacked the
> (recommended) clispsrc-readline.tar.z.
>
> You can't use the unmodified GNU readline-2.0 with CLISP. A modified
> version of this is the clispsrc-newreadline.tar.z in source-haible/.
>

>                     Bruno Haible
>                     haible@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de

Well I got the "clispsrc-newreadline.tar.z" in source-haible/ and
started over.  Almost everything went alright, and I got around the
minor problems anyway so now I have a funky new clisp with
command-line editing and bracket matching---coooooooollllll!!!!

the problem was:

The clisp-1995-01-01/src/makefile tries to make targets
readline/doc/clreadline.dvi and a couple of others in the same
directory and I have only the newreadline directory and all the files
in it's doc subdirectory are readline* not clreadline*

solution:

after "make" fails the first time (when it has practically done
everything) make a link to newreadline called readline:
  ln -s readline newreadline
then
  cd readline/doc
and then
  ln -s readline.dvi clreadline.dvi
  ln -s readline.dvi cluserman.dvi
and then cd back to the src directory and go "make" again.

This solution is probably no big deal but at least you have the
satisfaction of seeing make complete successfully.  I assumed that the
newreadline package is a superset of the readline one and so only got
the former.  I guess if you just got the standard readline one there
would be no problem like this.