Type contagion

I have a simple question about type contagion on clisp.  According to
impnotes.txt, type contagion is not implemented as specified by CLTL.
I understand the reasons given, and they certainly make sense.

However, they also make double-float work more difficult because I
have to be much more careful about mixing single-floats and
double-floats together.

Is there any way to get type contagion to work more like CLTL?

Forgive me if this has been asked before.  I looked through the mail
archives but didn't see anything about this.

Ray