Re: new version now at Karlsruhe

Marcus wrote:

> ============
>
> Binaries (minimal distribution -- about 1.8 meg each).
>
> and In:
> /pub/lisp/clisp/binaries
>   linux

Might this directory be renamed to linux-elf/ to make the contents
more clearer? Many Linux users haven't switched to ELF yet, as there
are no wide-spread ELF-based distributions.

> These files, and further work, will fade in and out of:
>
>   http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp

Do you also have anonymous ftp access? Last week, I tried five times
to fetch it; the connection always broke down. ftp is better suited to
run it automated at night.

And I've got another wish: May anybody who has the most current
version running, please try

	clisp -i export-compile
	clisp -i export

on the following two files

---------------- export.lsp ----------------------------
(defpackage GI)

(export 'gi::name 'gi)

(defun gi:name ()
  (print "Some obscure function."))
---------------- export-compile.lsp --------------------
(defpackage GI)

(export 'gi::name 'gi)

(compile-file "export")

(quit)
---------------- snip snap -----------------------------

I've made an RS/6000 version of 1995-06-23 and would upload it to
Karlsruhe if the above error is still in the new revision... :-)

Concerning the above error: As you might imagine, this is not the real
code, but a very stripped down version of stuff that is usually buried
in some levels of macro definitions. (It's from an SGML style sheet
language where element definitions are transformed into class
definitions that are interned in a special package.)
    I think the code of export might need a special treatment for the
exported identifiers, it must not use their current symbol name.

Btw, does anybody know of a more elegant work-around than
    (export (intern "NAME" 'gi) 'gi)
?

Cheers,
	Joachim