Re[2]: 1. with-wish 2. *read-eval*

Thanks for the reply!

Sam Shteingold <sshteingold@cctrading.com> wrote:

>      1. with-wish.lsp has no chances to work with clisp (or *anything*)
>      under win32, because in their infinite wisdom, MS decided that a
>      program can have no more than one out of stdio or windows, and when
>      wish opens a window, it looses stdin, thus clisp cannot control it.

This is not true. An application compiled as "console application" has
standard input and standard output (which may be a console or a
bidirectional Emacs connection, for example), and it can open as many
graphics windows as you like. I've been doing this all the time here
at work.

     Aha! What I wrote was just what the gnuplot folks told me. May I post
     this to the comp.graphics gnuplot and ask them to comment? It is
     important to me to be able to plot from within clisp.

     More to the subject of with-wish - this would require *me* to
     recompile wish. Which is not an option (for me).

>      2. X3J13 (how did they come up with such a wondrous letter/digit
>      combination?) voted in June 1989 <40> to add a new reader control
>      variable, *read-eval*. (CLtL2 22.1.2 p 524) It seems to be of enormous
>      importance to security, but is apparently missing from CLISP.

Since you think it's important, it will be implemented in the next CLISP
release.

     Thanks a lot! I appreciate your care. But you seem to disagree that it
     is a security concern. Why?

Btw, X3 is ANSI's subdivision dealing with programming languages
(counterpart of ISO's SC22), and X3J13 is the group for Lisp (counterpart
of ISO SC22/WG16). :-)

     I thought so - that this is a hierarchical thing. Oh well...
                       Sam.