encode-universal-time performance

     The major bottleneck of my code is computing the number of days
     between 2 dates. Now I convert both dates to the universal time
     (bignum of secs since the epoch) and take the difference divided by
     24*60*60. Is there a faster way to do that? profiling shows that I
     spend all the time encoding universal time, and I wonder if there is a
     way to avoid that. Apparently the best thing I will be able to do will
     be using FFI and writing the thing in C. Is there a better way?