Re: HELP: Linux and SunOS over Ethernet?

I'm afraid to make head or tail of this I'm going to have to quote it all...

In article <R.czhou.106.0006ED9F@best.com>, Chang Zhou <czhou@best.com> wrote:
>Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
>
>In article <32414C5F.4237@insignia.co.uk> Andy Bianchi <abianchi@insignia.co.uk> writes:
>>From: Andy Bianchi <abianchi@insignia.co.uk>
>>Subject: Re: HELP: Linux and SunOS over Ethernet?
>>Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:36:31 GMT
>
>>Haoyu Meng wrote:
>>>
>>> I just bought a Sun3/60. It has built in Ethernet support.
>>> Is it possible to put SunOS and Linux on the same network?
>>> If so, how is it done?
>
>>Well I'm slightly confused by the wording of your post, I assume
>>you want to connect the Sun3/60 to a network which also has a PC
>>running Linux, correct?
>
>>In which case the answer is 'yes' - but I'm not sure what you
>>mean by 'how is it done' - you simply connect both computers
>>to the bit of ethernet cable.

Have you thought that the Sun 3/60 may be diskless.. remember that these
beasties need an external SCSI drive to boot from, either that or a network
machine containing a root filesystem image, tftp service and bootstrap
loader image.

Haoyu Meng doesn't say if he has the old 3/60 booted or not. If not then
this is his first problem. He needs access to a copy of SunOS 4.1.1_U1 or
earlier on CDROM and a lot of knowledge about tftp/SunOS network booting and
hacking to get it to boot from his PC running Linux. Otherwise he'll need an
expernal SCSI disk with a DB50 interface and a SCSI QIC6150 drive also with
a DB50 interface, cables, SCSI terminator and the 4 tape set of SunOS
4.1.1_U1 for Sun3 architecture.

>>If you want to get them to talk to each other then you'll need
>>things like rlogin daemons, automounters, nfs and other such
>>stuff.  If you don't understand this I suggest you get a
>>system administrator-type person to look into it.

That should all be within SunOS on the boot media.

>>> Please reply directly to hmeng@exodus.valpo.edu.
>>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>>Well I hope this helps ...
>
>>Andy.
>
>You also need a network device: hub,
>if you don't want to spend too much time to fiddle with
>the point to point connection with a BNC cable, or
>you have more than two machines to connect to the net.

Erm.. the Sun 3/60 was designed long before 10BaseT was even thought of. All
the Sun 3/60 has is an AUI port and a BNC connector, switchable using a
jumper on the main circuit board. What's an RJ45? :-)

A bit of co-ax, two T-pieces and two terminators are the way to go.. unless
you want to spend lots of money on a hub and an AUI-10BaseT transceiver.

>Of course, you have to do the network configuration on each
>machine on the net.  Namely, assign proper IP and edit the
>network files.  On the Sun, you could use the "admintool"
>to simply add the other host names ane IP number, etc..

Erm.. someone's been using Solaris 2 for too long. SunOS 4.1.1_U1 only has
vi (or any of the other standard editors) to do the job... editing
/etc/hosts etc. is far more fun anyway. :-)

What IP addresses you choose depends upon whether your machines are
connected to the Internet or not. If they are then you'll have to get valid
IP addresses from your local DNS administrator. Otherwise the choice is
yours. I'd suggest 192.9.200.1 and 192.9.200.2 as this is the subnet Sun's
come with as default, before you change them. It's also a class C network,
which means that the netmask should be set correctly by default too.

>Hope this helps.
>
>--- Chang

Steve

--
Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).