EW under Apollo Domain Lisp

We are attempting to compile EW under Apollo's Domain/Common Lisp
(a product of Lucid) with CLOS and CLX.  We have been hung up on the
file io-functions.lisp because:
1. It appears to redefine standard lisp functions, and *then* call
the function (setup-lisp-functions) which is designed to take care of
saving away the old version of the functions.
2. It uses pcl internals to handle type checking instead of CLOS
functions.  Simply adding (IN-PACKAGE 'CLOS :NICKNAMES '(PCL))
to the system file doesn't solve the problem.

Does anyone have a version of EW which compiles correctly on
a CLOS, CLX, and CLtL2 version of Common Lisp?

David Loewenstern
AT&T Bell Laboratories
14B-253
Whippany, NJ 07981