Re: Goodwill EW under Franz trouble

[Added CC: express-windows]

    Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 15:14:00 -0400
    From: mac@trantor.harris-atd.com

	Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 10:52 PDT
	From: Stephen L. Nicoud <snicoud@atc.boeing.com>

	    Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 11:56:52 -0400
	    From: mac@trantor.harris-atd.com

	      I grabbed a copy of the Goodwill version of EW
	    yesterday and I'm having a problem compiling it. When
	    (compile-ew) gets done compiling code/io-functions and
	    loads it, my lisp hangs waiting for input. This is caused
	    by the (setup-lisp-functions) call. Has anyone else run
	    across this? Any fixes?  I'm running Allegro Common Lisp
	    3.1.13 on a Sun3.

	I've think I've run into this before.  I had similar symptons
	with EW not being configured correctly for the version of PCL
	being used.  Which version of PCL are you using?  The
	Victoria Day one provided with Allegro?  or maybe Rainy or
	May Day PCL?

	Also, what's the value of *features*?

      I'm using the Victoria Day pcl that comes with Allegro. My
    *features* list looks like this after loading code/require:

    (:X :DEFPACKAGE :EW-CLOS :PCL-VICTORIA :PCL :CLOS :CLX-MIT-R4
     :XLIB :CLX :MULTIPROCESSING :LOOP LOOP :UNIX :SUN3 :M68K :SUN
     :SUNOS4.0 :FLAVORS :IEEE :CONFORMING-IEEE :COMMON-LISP :ALLEGRO
     :EXCL :FRANZ-INC :ALLEGRO-V3.1 :M68020 :M68881 :GSGC
     :BIG-ENDIAN)

      In the file require.lisp, it states that if you're using Franz,
    you can use (require :pcl) instead of the larger form. I believe
    that this is in error.  You must put the (require :pcl) before
    that form. If you don't include that form, the pcl package will
    not be given a nickname of ew-clos nor will one of the
    :pcl-<version> keywords be added to *features*.

You're correct about this error.  Thanks for pointing it out.
Your suggestion of putting "(require :pcl)" prior to the larger
form should handle the error well.  Probably adding "#+excl
(require :pcl)" would be best.

Assuming that you already made this fix and are still having the
problem, I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is.  I just
recompiled EW from a lisp image which already had pcl and clx in
it, and the recompilation went well.

-- Steve