lam9.c and curses

When we attempted to cfasl a file that used the curses package
of screen control routines into Franz 38.40, we got the message
_ospeed: /usr/libcurses.a (cr_tty.o) multiply defined.
The apparent cause of this cryptic remark is that in lam9.c
there is an extern variable ospeed. There are a number of
tantalizing routines in this source file dealing with termcaps that
are apparently not called by anyone. Are there plans for these
routines? Does anyone use them (heaven forbid they should be
documented!). Our current fix is to just change ospeed to ospiid
which so far has had no dire effects, but I am interested in others
experience. The curses stuff seems to work fine after this
modification.
			Mark Rosenstein