Re: copyrights and similar legal hogwash

Legal considerations are most definitely relevant to scientists, if it
means that you can no longer use a piece of code that you wrote
yourself, or distribute it to people freely if yu would like to do so.
Free distribution is an important method for communicating research
results which is peculiar to computer science, and which is relied upon
often.  When universities hold the profit motive foremost, the result is
a prejudicial influence on our particular domain, which has come about
as a result of the very unfortunate fact that what we do tends to be
highly profitable.