Re: dylan availability

>> Also, if there are any estimates on time (man months) and other costs for
>> implementing Dylan on a given processor or OS platform I would be
>> interested in hearing from you. I realize this is a bit vague, but Dylan
>> was designed to run on machines with limited resources, so there are a lot
>> of opportunities to use Dylan (instead of C or Assembler) with existing and
>> upcoming processors and specialized chips if the development time isn't too
>> long.
>
>This really depends on what kind of implementation you want.  The
>Thomas compiler took four people four weeks, I believe (perhaps a bit
>less than that).  An optimizing native-code compiler with a first-rate
>development environment would take many person-years of implementation
>effort.

I don't really care about recreating a development environment on a lot of
different processors, but an optimizing native-code compiler would be nice.
Compiling on one machine for different target machines is fine with me and
probably the only way when you're talking about simulations. I don't expect
to do any development on a Newton or a graphics board, etc. but I expect to
be able to write code, run simulations for a target processor or at least
do a compatibility check, then move the code to a specific target machine.

ka