lisp's numeric efficiency (followup)

There was a tiny problem with my last message:

  The real problem to date was that there was no way to avoid the FP
  call/return overhead incurred when calling the floating-point library
  functions (e.g., `exp').  (I ended up calling C for these functions
  and passed one-element vectors to avoid the boxing.)

This previous problem only definitely pertains to Lucid lisp.  In
fact, I think that CMUCL can compile these library calls very
efficiently.

The real efficiency problem occurs when calling user-defined FP
functions (because there is no way to turn off dynamism in LISP).

-- jonathan bachrach

IRCAM
31, rue Saint-Merri
F75004 Paris, France