Re: small integers

On Wed, 14 Oct 1992, Robert A. Cassels <cassels@cambridge.apple.com>
wrote:
>>Do you intend that Dylan have arithmetic that is "as good as" FORTRAN
or
>>that
>>it be "almost as good"? I would argue that for general acceptance of
the
>>language
>>for both political and technical reasons only "as good as" will do.
>
>For someone's definition of "good".

Of course what I meant was, "as fast as." I firmly believe that to be
competitive
in your target market that Dylan will have to have a mode that is at least
as
fast as FORTRAN. Not only on isolated FLOPs but on arrays of floats and
fixnums. To do any less will relegate the language to company of basic
and
hypercard.

Jim