comp.lang.dylan: starting over

The process of creating the comp.lang.dylan newsgroup to replace
the info-dylan mailing list had been moving right along -- lots of
votes came in over the weekend -- but alas, we have to start over
from the beginning.

The Usenet guidelines for creating newsgroups specify that the Request
For Discussion (RFD) and the Call For Votes (CFV) be posted to
news.announce.newgroups.  I did that (in addition to sending copies
to info-dylan, comp.lang.lisp, etc.), but it seems that on our local
system, news.announce.newgroups was not installed as a "moderated"
group.  The effect of this single incorrect bit (!) was that my messages
got into the local copy of the newsgroup without going through the
moderator, David Lawrence (tale@uunet.uu.net). The RFD and CFV were
therefore never approved, and the whole discussion and vote is invalid.

The problem is not simply that the proposal lacked someone's approval.
The real issue is that because it wasn't approved, it didn't go
out over the net to all the usenet sites, so the only people who
ever participated in the discussion and vote were the folks who saw
the message via info-dylan, comp.lang.lisp, etc.

In other words, we were arguably preaching to the converted, and
it was not a fair election.

My apologies to all who sent in comments and votes.  At least it
makes for a good story about the importance of a single bit.

Now we start over.  I've *mailed* a new copy of the RFD to David
Lawrence and asked him to post it to news.announce.newgroups and
cross-post it to comp.lang.lisp, etc.  If all goes will, it should
show up soon, and you'll have 3 weeks in which to *discuss* the proposal,
which you do by posting messages to news.groups. Then, in 3 weeks,
I'll issue a new Call For Votes, and then you can vote (again).
With luck, we'll be done by New Year's.

--Jim Meehan