re: define and set! with multiple-values

    Concerning the use of multiple return values, I've always wondered
    what is the difference concerning returning multiple values and returning
    a list (or a collection class object). In other words can't the programmer
    already control the return statements?

Sure, but you could make the same argument and say that all functions
should be PASSED exactly one argument, since you can bundle up anything
you like in a list.  It certainly complicates implementations to
allow more than one argument to be passed to a function, but that's
a price we're willing to pay.  Those of us on the "multiple values
as continuations" bandwagon want the symmetry between calling and
returning.