Re: Re2: MCL support for MOP

    Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 15:57:09 -0500
    From: miller@cs.rochester.edu
    On the flip side, I couldn't live without symbol-function. When I
    incrementally redefine a function symbol in a file (e.g. defun of foo),
    I don't want to go have to recompile every #' mention of the function, I
    want the newest version always.

Ah, but you don't need to do this.  #' always gets the latest version.
You only need to update datastructures that contain function pointers,
which is why it's a good idea to combine the initialization of those
data-structures with their definitions, in a macro, so that redefining
the function also updates the datastructure.

				    Sure, it loses in the face of a macro,
    but that's just another reason to try to avoid macros (or at least get
    them right the first time :-).

I don't understand just what you're refering to here.  What loses, how?