Re: Mac Identifier

     This question isn't only applicable to MACL...

     Is there any unique identifier for each Macintosh (like a serial
     number) that I can get at from a program?  I'd like my program to be
     able to determine what machine `instance' it is running on.

     Kevin Gallagher
     Gallagher@cs.umass.edu

(MACHINE-INSTANCE) is supposed to return the machine's AppleTalk node name (as
set in the Chooser.)  This name is supposed to be unique within an AppleTalk
zone.

Although this doesn't help much in distinguishing between non-networked
machines or similarly named machines on different networks, I think it's
about the best you can hope for.  (If we were aware of something "better",
we'd want to use it in MACHINE-INSTANCE.)