looking for a scrolling window package

   Has anybody out there written some utilities for creating and using windows
   with scrolling.  I do not want to use a Fred window.

Do you mean text windows?  If so, I can't help you.  If not, you should
check out the scrollers example, which came with 1.3.x.

The easiest way to do text windows would be to combine a scroll-bar
with an editable-text-dialog-item.  You'll need to call some TextEdit
traps to get the editable-text-dialog-item to scroll, but that shouldn't
be that hard.

   -andrew