Re: consing

The following code, grafted from some MACL examples, defines a GET-CONSING
function for MACL that returns the total number of conses used. While this
is usable for my code, I really need a function which returns the total
number of conses used since the beginning of time (i.e., it shouldn't reset
after a GC).

Why don't you advise GC so that it keeps a running total of the number of
flushed conses?  There is an advise package available from MIT, but it's
easy enough to kludge it for single functions.

Oops, actually, this probably won't work since most references to system
functions do not go through the symbol.  I've asked Apple for some way to
get around this before.  It makes customizing the system rather difficult.
Maybe if more people ask...