updating dialog items

Hello,
     I'm using macl 1.2.2 and I'm a bit of a novice to put it lightly.
Currently, I'm trying to create a graphical browser by using both quickdraw
and dialog buttons in the same window (the dialog buttons represent nodes
in a tree while quickdraw creates connecting lines between nodes).
     Something about using both tools simultaneously is keeping the buttons
from being updated normally.  They are not redrawn unless they receive a
mouse click.  I have tried to use the "dialog-item-draw" function, but it
is not recognized (i.e. it gets an "undefined" error).  The documentation
on this function leaves me a bit confused. (By the way, the quickdraw lines
are updated correctly at all times).
     Can anyone offer me advice/knowledge?  Thanks very much in advance.

				-Brandon