copying pixmaps

I am trying to save images offscreen using offscreen pixmaps.  I have made
the offscreen pixmap and successfully copied images back and forth.  The
problem is that when I set up a palette it seems to screw up my ability to
copy back and forth.  When I use animated colors in the palette only 1 bits
worth of information seems to be copied with copybits.  When I use explicit
colors 4 bits worth of information is copied.  Any ideas why this might be
so?

Allen