Selection Ranges in FRED Windows

I have an application that needs to highlight a non-contiguos range of
characters in a FRED window. At present, I have written my own code
to do this, highlighting specifci regions (that I maintain) within the
FRED window as necessary.

Of course, this code is written in Allegro 1.2.2 (and I do know that I
am using an ancient version of MACL), but I am now switching to Allegro
1.3.2. The support for FRED windows has increased, and I was wondering
before I start redesigning the entire selection algorithm, perhaps
someone else may have implemented similar functionality.

As an example, consider the following text:

Mary had a little lamb
It's fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went
the lamb was sure to go.

I would like to be able to highlight each occurance of the word 'was' in
the above verse.

You have my deepest appreciation if you can offer any direction or send
some code my way to help in this matter.

Luke Hohmann
University of Michigan
Highly Interactive Computing Environments
313-764-4146

PS.
If it means anything, I am working on a project for Dr. Elliot Soloway.

Thanks again.