modal-dialogs

We have an object system where the user can double-click on various
dialog-items and have a window pop up to display that object.  BUT,
sometimes an object is being displayed in a modal-dialog.  Is there any
quick way of determining if a modal-dialog is currently active, or if there
is an outstanding catch tag for the modal-dialog?  I'd much rather throw in
this test than double the number of object classes.  Alternatively, is
there any way to allow a "non-modal" window to show up from a modal-dialog
but force the user to close these windows and get back to the modal-dialog
before going on.  Again, it would seem I need a test on window creation to
test if there is an outstanding modal-dialog.
Thanks in advance.

"TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu