Re: B&W Windows that are good for Color, Color windows that arent!

[Daniel, I'm resending this because of recent info-macl message suggesting
your email address got munged].
Thanks for your reply **I really appreciate it**. I'm not sure I understand
all
your message though. Some points:

>I think your problems are more with Color QuickDraw than with MACL.
>About pixmaps and cgrafports: you must know that a window can overlap several
>monitors, so you might ask yourself which screen pixmap is associated with
>the window's port? In that case, it is always the pixmap of the main device.

Hmm. When I would test by moving my listener between color and b&w monitor
(I derived it's maxdevice and would set current device to that)  it was
alway
*fully* within one monitor or the other, and my peek function (and
print-db's
in my D3 & D4) fns seemed to indicate I was getting back the kind of
gdevice
I would expect. Does the fact that I would always make sure both the
listener
(from which I derived the screen device) and the created window were within

the color window answer your point?
  Note also that I wasn't having any success when I overrode the main
device
and set current device to be that of color screen.

>To CQD, this is a hint that the port is onscreen, and drawing may need to be
>done to multiple devices. This is very confusingly explained in IMv5, and
>very well explained in IMv6.
Gee, I was under the impression IMv6 wasn't out yet! Is there a site where
I can get it?

>Making color offscreen ports, especially in a multiscreen setup is very tricky.
>I suggest you look at the sample code from DTS for that, or you use the new
>offscreen traps in 32 bits QD. I've done this with MACL, and it works!

Yeah they are really horrible to do. I finally got all the code going with
offscreen color grafports and pixmaps, I just never solved this particular
problem of having the color monitor not be the dominant one.
*************************
 ONE THING I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT IS YOUR COMMENT THAT YOU'VE WORKED WITH
THE NEW
32 bits QD traps in MACL!!!! I have a GC*24 accelerator board which
necessitates
my moving to use of the Graphic worlds code (which I presume is what
you are referring to).  If you could see your way to sending me any of your
code that uses those traps in macl (esp. any that sets up the traps and
trap macros for MACL) I WOULD BE DEEPLY ENDEBTED.  I remember the struggles
setting up the old style cgrafports offscreen, I cringe at yet another
go at yet a different way to do that!

     Lucian